Monday, February 21, 2011

Raj-nish and Ananshree

I meet my guide Raj-nish in my hotel. He' young and very personable. I like him immediately! He asks me why I came to India? What interests me? I tell him my many different reasons (he's getting the long answer, I figure he can be a better guide that way) and add meditation and yoga. His eyes light up. Throughout the day he interjects his historic and cultural knowledge with his own beliefs. He studied philosophy and I feel like soaking up his intellect. He talks about India's change in culture. I can tell he is proud of his country and engulfed in it's history and at the same time he is a very critical thinker. He learned French in two years to the point of being primarily a guide to french tour groups now!
He brought a friend with him and asks me if I mind. Her name is Ananshree. She is curious about his presentation to me. She seems very friendly, maybe a little shy at first, but that first impression proves wrong during the day. She, too is very personable and really adds to my experience! I love the idea of getting to know her, a modern India woman and get to see Delhi through her eyes, too. It turns out she is an excellent source for talk about Indian fashion. The different styles of saries and how they are draped. The three piece Shalwar Kameez, that is more commonly found on young women. Partly because they don't know how to drape a sari. Plus, the top can be worn alone over jeans, thus making it more modern. The fabrics, of course are unbelievable!!! I could go on and on just about the fabrics!!! She points out young women wearing huge stack of bangles two thirds up to their elbows. These are newly weds, probably on their honeymoon, she says. She explains the different styles of Bindi compared to the powdery red dot between the eyebrows. She is very spiritual and says that both should really be worn higher up, in front of the petuatary gland. This way it would be calming, cooling. Especially women need it, because it balances their emotional state. Inside I am amused but also wonder if there may be something to it? I might just try it sometime while I'm here....

More about my sightseeing later.

No comments:

Post a Comment