Friday, February 11, 2011

From the Beginning

It all started when I lived in London 20 years ago. It was there that I developed a strong interest in the Indian culture. Particularly the Indian cuisine, the colors - whether it be saris, chalk painted elephants, embellished jewelry, it's ageold spirituality, different religions and traditions, the practice of yoga and meditation, all in all - the differences to our western civilization. India became my number one country I had to visit before I would die!

About 6 years ago several of my friends were nearing the big 4 0. I could sense some apprehension,  even anxiety about it. I asked my myself - could I come up with a plan to celebrate my 40th birthday that would be so meaningful and exciting that I could hardly wait to turn 40?

 Just as I was pondering that question I read an article in Oprah magazine about Voluntourism.  Relief Riders International, one of the featured organizations, immediately got my attention! They were organizing small groups to travel on horseback through the Rajasthani desert Thar to deliver school and medical supplies and milk goats to remote villages. Doctors were traveling along to conduct dental and cataract eye surgery clinics. What a way to experience a country and it's people! I felt like I had just given birth to a dream. Here it was... my vision for my 40th birthday some 6 years later. The plan worked immediatly - I could hardly wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment