Monday, February 21, 2011

My first morning

Delhi is giving me a very warm welcome this morning. It was a short night. Couldn't go to sleep until 5am and at 8:30am the hotel started waking noisily.
Breakfast looked interesting, but on my first day I am just too paranoid to be eating or drinking the 'wrong'  thing. So I stuck to toast and a Masala scrambled egg. Not very adventurous, but I'm worried there won't be any adventure at all if I catch something.
After breakfast I checked out the neighborhood. I didn't get too far.There is this beautiful park right across the hotel.
So, here I sit in this little oasis. The sun is shining on me. The air still crisp. It seems only Indians are here. Not too many though. I can see some exercising lightly, may are socializing with each other, some are tending flowers, one is pushing a wheelchair with an old man, others are sitting on benches like me, reading their newspaper.
I found a calm place for myself to observe the noisy life on the street right outside the park. Cars, bikes, rikshaws, carts, lots of hunking, people walking. They were definitely checking me out, out there and here in the park. I guess I stick out, despite dressing down.
I noticed that so far people don't smile at each other. They look curious, but they don't smile. My gut feeling is, that with 19 Million people living in Delhi, they are used to getting very close with each other physically. And the do! You have no idea! But smiling at each other I think is very private.
In a few minutes my guide will pick me up to explore Old Delhi.
I feel good.

No comments:

Post a Comment