Saturday, February 19, 2011

And so the journey begins

The plane is pushing back. I'm looking against the snow-covered Rockies to the west and know, I'm heading towards uncharted territory.
I try to imagine my fellow passenger's varied reasons for being on this plane...But of course I know only mine. I like my reason...and still, this morning I woke with nervous energy. A feeling of "what am I doing and how did I get here?" A feeling of "who came up with this idea?!??"
Not that I lost touch of what drove me to this point, but the sensation and awareness of what I was leaving behind was momentarily overpowering. It still is. Part of it may also be some trepidation of the unknown lying ahead of me.
I compare it to sitting in a roller coaster. All buckled up. I'm feeling gravity pull me back as my wagon is being pushed up steep. The thought crosses my mind "what if I could get out right now?" driven by fear. But I know I can't. So I let the thought pass and just hold on. The first big drop is about to come. I feel completely awake!

1 comment:

  1. "I try to imagine my fellow passenger's varied reasons for being on this plane..." I remember coming home from the Philippines - the last leg was a flight from Denver to Lincoln. I'd been traveling for 24+ hours. I'd been in the hospital, I'd been through a 3rd world coup attempt. I'd been terrified, seen death, wondered if I'd see my family again. I was crying when we landed in Lincoln and I was thinking "no one on this plane has any idea what I've been through." I can't wait to hear what thoughts fill your mind as you touch down at DIA again! Very best wishes, Cierra

    ReplyDelete